Bad Behavior

Recently, Craig R. Weiner wrote an article in the Broward County, Florida Sun-Sentinel. He urged the media to stop publishing and in effect, advertising the hateful comments that come from comedians Kathy Griffin, Roseanne Barr, and Samantha Bee. His point is well taken that media outlets only reward and encourage the behavior when they headline or report on such behavior. 

Fair enough. 

Yet, it behooves me to remind Mr. Weiner and other media outlets that when such comments are made by elected officials, especially those in major positions, reporting on them is not the same as when reporting on comments made by people who make a living making such comments and attracting attention to themselves. However, when elected officials, who would like me to mention their name, make such lewd, rude and crude comments it is much worse. 

Why? 

The answer is because such people set an example, set a mood, create a culture in which such behavior is not only prominent but also tolerated and even encouraged. I might pay my money to hear such commentary by a professional comedian. I did not pay my vote to hear such commentary from someone I want my children to hold in high regard. 

Sorry, Mr. Weiner, although I get your point, it is not fair to compare the media’s reporting on the behavior of comedians when their actions are merely mirroring that of our elected officials. I suggest the media take a step back from rewarding elected officials with so much attention. I know it seems to be everywhere, but try to find more serious and laudatory behavior of elected officials to bring to our children. Surely, there must be some….someone…?

Comments

Popular Posts